Monday, April 12, 2010

Goal for 2010: Check


So I set the Go St. Louis 5k as a goal for 2010. Growing up I was a gymnast, dancer and swimmer. I never did anything that required running any distance… no soccer, no track, zero running. In high school we did the presidential physical fitness award. The only task I had to redo was, of course, the mile run.

About 10 years ago I did a 3k. I remember hearing someone behind me running flatfooted. As they began to pass me I noticed it was a little girl, maybe 8 years old, wearing purple Keds and pink glittery socks. Yes, she and her father passed me and finished the race ahead of me.

I’ve been run/walking and swimming at my local YMCA. I’ve also been taking yoga to improve my strength, flexibility and balance. Every morning I look at my vision board and see the goal of the Go St. Louis 5k. That's really kept me focused.

The race was this past Saturday and an absolutely glorious day! I started the race with all my co-workers who are seasoned runners. I quickly realized I could not keep up with their pace so I dropped back. No Ipod, no friends, just me and 3.1 miles in Forest Park. Running on asphalt and up and down hills is extremely different from a flat, indoor, padded track! My goal was to finish under 45 minutes. My official time was 44:40! If you’re into numerology: I was in the 40-44division, I’m 44 and my time was 44:40…let me know what that means!

The photo above is at the finish line, surprisingly athletic looking! That was taken right before I crossed the finish line. I ran/walked throughout the race but was definitely running when I finished! Feels gratifying to have set a lofty goal, work hard and actually finish the race running much more than I walked! Of course my body is still aching two days later, but now I’m thinking about what my next big athletic goal for 2010 will be… What’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment