Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Funerals are the new Facebook


Well…not exactly. But, wow, what a surprising way to reconnect and make new connections with family and friends.

My Grandma Scherting died recently. She was 90 ½ and lived a long, active life; moved from her own apartment to hospice; five generations (that means great, great grand kids!) so she was loved dearly by many and leaves quite a legacy!

In an odd way, I really enjoyed the visitation at the funeral home. It’s funny how you can go years and months and not see certain family members or old friends. But an obituary appears online, priorities change and you’re seeing people you haven’t seen in ages. It’s an unanticipated gift from your departed loved one... all the connections across the pods of friends and family lines.

• My grandma and her friends were frequent patrons of the Family Musical Theater, the community theater group I did ‘Anything Goes’ with a few summers ago. So her friends recognized my friends who are in all of the shows!

• The daughter of one of my mom’s friends lives next door to my boss.

• My Aunt Lucille lives two doors down from one of my Grandma’s ‘bummin’ buddies

• I know my cousin’s ex-step-daughter through the restaurant “Three Monkeys”

• A lady I used to babysit for grew up in Benton Park (the neighborhood where I currently reside)

• This same lady is taking my old wooden doll bunk beds for her grand kids.

• The priest who said the funeral mass taught me 3rd grade religion class. (When we acted up in class, he sent us to ‘Crooksville,’ a note he mentioned in the homily!)

• My dad sat down with me and one of my closest friends from high-school and she says “I met Mr. Scherting in 1980! Oh my gosh, we’ve known each other for 30 years!”

• We went to Pietro’s after the burial for a family luncheon/reception. My mom’s cousin is the head chef (Aunt Lucille’s son) and his wife waited on us. It turns out my co-worker/work BFF also grew up going to Pietro’s. Small world.

Random reminders of what you have to be grateful for during your time here on earth…real life connections with people that make life special. And Grandma Scherting was at the center of all of this.


In memory of
Mrs. Katherine J. Scherting
Born: August 15, 1919
Died: April 30, 2010

3 comments:

  1. Amazing. I love this and I know EXACTLY how you feel. Francis J. Malone. September 29, 1936 - April 29, 2010. Keeping you in my prayers sweet friend. Love, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cherish your friendship... and I love your family, too! God Bless Grandma Scherting, Kelly Peach (the 30-year friend)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris - I am at work reading this b/c Grandma fish sent it on. I am tearing up just reading all the connections. I did not know the Head chef at Pietro's was related to you. When Grandpa Fischer was alive he used to eat lunch there almost every day - and the waitress (your cousin's wife) was his waitress. She remembered Grandpa fish and my mom. It is really a small world. Thanks for sharing all of this about Grandma K! Love you!
    Cousin Heather :0)

    ReplyDelete