Monday, August 30, 2010

Stepping out of your comfort zone


A year ago when I started my new job I had no idea how many new experiences were in store for me. The craziest, most exhilarating one to date was speaking on stage at our international conference to a crowd of 2,500 people.

The topic was our sports sponsorship and healthy living initiative. Along with my team, I was involved in setting the strategy and the launch of the program so it was an exciting and familiar topic. My name was suggested to lead the segment during a meeting that occurred without me! Ha! When I found out I was both horrified and flattered.

I’ve given marketing presentations to groups of 10 to 150 people. I’ve done community theater and mystery dinner shows to audiences of 100-200 people. I was very nervous and did not sleep the night before . This was completely out of my comfort zone. And while I did not ask for the microphone, it was an incomparable adrenalin rush and personal test.

I’m very grateful to have found this position that challenges me to grow as a person, a marketer and business woman while allowing me to show my personality and acrobatic skills. Did I mention I exited the stage after successfully completing a wicked cartwheel?

Note: I have to credit my art director/photographer, Amie Schilson, on this photo that makes me really look like I know what I'm doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment