Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Best Sedona Hiking Guide


Jim Reich is your man! I first found him on Trip Advisor where he received rave reviews. As I continued my online research, his site sedonahikingadventures.com kept coming up. His hikes are not ‘cookie cutter’ hikes for large groups of tourists, they are customized to your skill level, taste and interest.

I emailed him the week before I arrived to see what his availability might be. We spoke on the phone and based on our rapport, I booked two hikes with him. I explained that I was in decent shape but wanted an ‘easy’ hike and wanted his dog, Summit to join us.

Jim picked me up at my hotel and he gave me a brief driving tour of several hikes near my condo that I could conquer on my own later in the week. We stopped at Euro Deli (Omg delicious sandwiches!) to get our lunch to eat on the trail.

We began our hike around 10:30. We started up the Wilson trail, a nice, comfortable but challenging incline. My new Merrell hiking shoes handled the trail and the red rocks nicely….no blisters! All along the way Jim narrated what peaks we could see, the history of the name, how to hike to the top etc. He was patient when I needed to stop for a drink of water and to catch my breath. My eyes were so focused on the trail, looking down to make sure I didn’t miss step, I had to purposely choose to stop, to breathe, take in the view and to appreciate the beauty. Parts of the trail were narrow and on the edge of a steep drop if I slipped or lost my concentration. Jim carried his own camera so he could help document my hike. I should have counted how many times I said “WOW”! Breathtaking, stunning, amazing, awesome are some of the words that come to mind that still don’t do the red rocks justice!

We ended the first trail back at the parking lot and continued down towards a creek for lunch and swimming. At this point I was already fatigued and hungry…and anyone who knows me, knows that I only get crabby when I’m tired or hungry and now I’m both!

We took a simple trail down to the creek area then Jim explained we needed to hike a little further up the flood plan over these big river rocks to get to our secluded spot he had named “Dave’s Rock”. As we are walking, climbing and jumping from rock to rock, I wonder out loud, “Jim do you consider this an easy hike?!” It was a fantastic work-out and challenge to my balance skills but I was fatigued and hungry for lunch! And secretly in my head I was thinking “are you effing kidding me? I’m paying this guy to effing torture me!”

Then we get to a point where we have to cross the creek to get to Dave’s rock. I was not prepared with water shoes so Jim carried my shoes and backpack. I was close to losing it at this point. I joke that I am a delicate flower. I’m not an out-doorsy girl who hikes all the time. I had a spa pedicure a few days before the trip. And now I’m crossing a creek barefoot with my OPI Pink Flamenco toes! Are you kidding me?!

Jim was extremely patient and supportive the whole way. He kept reassuring me I was going great and it was going to be worth it. I’m sure I cursed outloud the whole way but I arrived safely across the creek and climbed up on Dave’s rock for lunch.

And yes, Jim was right, it was totally worth it! The view again was stunning. It was only 70 degrees and very windy, so sitting on this giant sandstone red rock in the middle of the creek was perfect! (photo above shows the creek I crossed and the height we hiked down to get to the creek) My ‘italiano’ sandwich from Euro Deli was satisfying and delicious…hard baguette, salami, prosciutto, provolone, mozzarella, roasted red peppers…mmm mmmmm! Jim also brought Cactus Juice to drink, a unique blend of cactus, apple and lime juice.

After we ate, Jim moved to another rock and took his meditation pose. I simply laid back flat on the rock to stretch my back, relax and meditate. The sound of the water, birds chirping, ducks quacking, the warmth of the sun on my face and the strength and heat of the rock supporting me made for a relaxing mediation. I shut my eyes and tried to clear my mind. I lay there for what I thought was maybe 10 or 15 minutes. I opened my eyes and checked the time…it had been 40 minutes! I don’t think I fell asleep. I do feel the energy took me to a relaxing, meditative state. So perfect for my first hike in Sedona!

No comments:

Post a Comment