Thursday, October 6, 2011

How rally towels were invented...


I was lucky enough to work for the St. Louis Cardinals in college from 1986-1990 and then again from 1993-1997. I started out as a switchboard operator and customer service rep answering general Cardinal information, working as the front office receptionist and filling in for secretaries around the office. When they figured out I was smart and had more to offer, I moved to the promotions department.

In 1987 during the World Series, Bud Light sponsored an adult t-shirt giveway. That October night was windy and cold so everyone came to the game wearing winter coats. So instead of possibly putting on their new, cool, give away shirt, they just carried them to their seats.

Later I was watching the game from the offices and the coolest thing happened. All the fans started waving their shirts in the air. Instead of the usual sea of red, it was a sea of white waving spirit shirts! AWESOME!

We quickly went to work on producing actual rally flags for the next games. I’m sure one of the AB brands was the sponsor (one of the benefits of being an Anheuser-Busch subsidiary). And when the series moved to Minnesota, they totally stole the idea and and gave away rally flags!

At least, that’s my memory of how rally flags were invented. Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment