Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Personal Service at Ann Taylor

Over the last year I have lost weight, gained lean muscle and changed my whole body composition. Every few months I have to buy new clothes (yay!) as the current clothes become too baggy and my co-workers scold me to go shopping. I am the girl who hates shopping. I am not really into fashion although I like to look nice. I am not the girl who goes to the mall and just wanders around and buys random things. I go with purpose:  black boots, pants for work, dress for a wedding etc. and then I leave.  If I ever won the lottery I would hire a stylist and personal shopper.

I was looking for some new professional clothes for work so on a day off I ventured out to the St. Louis Galleria, a mall I haven’t been to in years, to go to Ann Taylor. I shop so infrequently I actually arrived at the mall before the stores were open and the mall was busy with mall walkers.  Luckily I only had to wait 10 minutes. It never dawned on me they wouldn’t be open!

Lindsey was the Ann Taylor representative who unlocked the door to let me in.  I felt ridiculous hovering like it was 1982 and Cardinals tickets were going on sale, but she didn’t seem phased at all.  She asked how she could help, I told her what I was looking for and she became my personal shopper and stylist! She toured me around the store highlighting the items I had requested and she explained the differences between the styles and fits.  She found my size, found blouses to match the pants and all I had to do was try it all on.  She was so nice and accommodating and kept bringing other items she thought I would like but not in a pushy, commissioned-sales-person manner, just very helpful.

There was one pair of pants they didn’t have in my size and she helped me order online with free shipping.  She also showed me the style of shoes online that would work with the pants. She made this whole experience so pleasant and positive.  I was out of there in 47 minutes and she had a nice big sale to start the day.

Some of my friends shop online for clothes but I have to try things on.  And I appreciate the opinion and advice of the sales people.  I will pay a little extra for that service.  Online may be crushing brick and mortar but I don’t know how you replace the personal assistance of a live human being looking at the fit of the clothes on your unique body type.  Lindsey listened to me and talked to me about the different styles.  For example, I hated the ruffles on one blouse but I liked the high neck. She found me the perfect blouse with a high neck and no ruffle and I never left the fitting room.

Like I said, I really hate shopping but Lindsey’s kind service really surprised me and I actually enjoyed those 47 minutes.  I will definitely be returning to Ann Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment