Monday, June 7, 2010

Are vanity numbers broken now?



You know what I’m talking about—Call 1-800-Steemer® (Stanley Steemer). The S on my home phone (yes I still have a land line) is on the 7 button. The S on my blackberry is on a button with the letter A and the question mark. So now what? How do I call Stanley Steemer from my blackberry if they only promote the vanity number?

This issue came up on vacation when I was trying to schedule my sky dive and the phone # was something like 800-SKY-DIVE and I couldn’t figure it out on my blackberry…it got me thinking…

So I asked a self-proclaimed blackberry expert at work. He said you can hold down the ALT button while you dial and the phone will figure it out. What about all the other people who haven’t figured it out yet? Or never do?

You have to promote the vanity number with the numeric translation. Seems random (hence the name of the blog) and silly to worry about but the sky dive place was lucky I had a land line to translate. They would have lost several hundred dollars in revenue. Imagine that happening over and over every day. Now it’s not so random, huh?

3 comments:

  1. Nope. Vanity numbers are not yet broken even though the age of cellphone technology is taking over their roles. In fact, lots and lots of businesses are finding toll free numbers as a necessity to stiffen the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment "Vanity Numbers"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wondering the SAME thing since I got my Blackberry. I am so glad I finally have a solution.

    ReplyDelete