Saturday, December 12, 2009

Celebrity guerilla marketing and social media



Did you hear that Demi Moore has a new perfume out? It just launched, it’s called “Wanted.” The only reason I know this is because I follow both Mr. and Mrs. Kucher on Twitter. He has over 4 million followers, she has over 2 million. They are fun to follow as I try to understand how people use Twitter and what might make sense from a business and marketing perspective. Take a look at this video where the hip, happy couple visit Macy’s in New York.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSh1B_MhyBc

I love the song, the video and the guerilla marketing style approach to the Wanted stickers and the two of them causing a stir in a busy New York Macy’s store. Combine that with their use of social media with their tweets linking you to the video on YouTube. It’s creative, fun, imaginative and cheap! What a great strategy for a brand go ‘behind the scenes,’ get to know you, have fun and maybe sell something at the same time.

In our social media work session with Jen Fong, she mentioned that “people buy from people, not companies.” Using Twitter, Facebook etc. are simple ways to connect the people behind your brand to the people experiencing your brand. It’s like the extra footage on a DVD that makes you love the movie even more!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't figure out how to get the video to show up in the blog! I guess that's what this is all about--making mistakes and learning. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete